Thanks all for everybody's help, but as it turns out it was just another
case of RTFM.

I am going to post this solution (and make my full newbie status known)
in the hopes that someone else doesn't beat themselves up over such a
simple (but really aggravating problem)

Here is the solution:
(drum roll please...) My Linux machine was not listed in my /etc/hosts!
Once I listed it there smbd and nmbd started and all was well.  I am
almost ashamed of myself since I figured this out by reading the top
portion of the smb.conf file that says to run testparm after making any
changes to this file.  I did and it said it couldn't resolve my
hostname.  Ran hostname and it gave me my hostname so I checked
/etc/hosts and it wasn't listed so I added it there on a lucky guess and
viola it works!!
Let this be a lesson boys and girls..RTFM!

Humbly,
Scott