> There are many users in the current home directory. It would be nice to
> move them into dirctories that fit the catagories they fit in (basically
> different classes). If I move users into directories within the home
> directory, will anything be screwed-up? Will they still be able to log on,
> retrieve mail, and have their Web pages work? Should all the users be in
> one big directory instead?

you could move them to different groups ( see groupadd ) but rember to
update your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow , by hand or use usermod.

there mail is not stored ( firstup ) in there dir but cann be if they use
pine/elm ( plus others ) but not if they are using pop only. even when the
home dir is moved mail clients should still work .

web pages are based on ther user dir .

to have one big or several small is a 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other
question , I use very basic groups only ( 3 groups for 100 accouns on one
system)

> What file permissions are normally set for users? When I add user I get:

what are your users needs ?

> There probably is a file that I can edit that acts as a template for
> setting file permissions when doing "adduser".

I use adduser2 which has defaults set in the top of the script

chris