Hi,

I have RedHat Linux 5.1 running on a Pentium 133 with version 2.0.34-0.6
kernel.  I currently am running the kernel with module support and kerneld
managing them.  That works fine.  My problem is that I tried to recompile
the kernel to support a network card and it is giving me problems.  When I
recompile the kernel using make zImage I don't get a zImage file in
linux/arch/i386/boot, I get vmlinux in linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed.

My first question:  When I move that image to the /boot directory and
install it with  lilo it doesn't boot.  I get to my lilo prompt and choose
the new image and     all it does is say booting..... and then redisplays
the lilo:  prompt.

My second question:  What does it mean when depmod -a returns messages about
unresolved symbols?  The ones I am getting are below:
    /lib/modules/2.0.34/misc/ipx.o: unresolved symbol(s)

    /lib/modules/2.0.34/net/8390.o: unresolved symbol(s)

    /lib/modules/2.0.34/net/ne2k-pci.o: unresolved symbol(s)

    /lib/modules/2.0.34/net/dummy.o: unresolved symbol(s)

    /lib/modules/2.0.34/net/ppp.o: unresolved symbol(s)

    /lib/modules/2.0.34/ipv4/rarp.o: unresolved symbol(s)

These are all options which I want to compile into the kernel.

Last question:  I have attached my rc.sysinit file.  Can I take out the part
where it reconfigures the preferred like if I only want to boot one kernel
all the time?

Jeremy Wiebe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

rc.sysinit