Akintayo Holder wrote:

> I am encountering difficulty getting my modem to work under linux.
>
> It is a Supra 336i Sp a PnP modem.
>
> I turned of the PnP option in my computer bios.
> I used setserial to pass the config info from win95 to the modem
> I have a sym link from /dev/modem to /dev/cua1
>
> However when I enter minicom, I  get a start up message alone. When I
> initialise or reset the modem I don't hear the click.
>
> If you can not help me can you tell me where I can find definitive info
> on modems and minicom
> --
> If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
> 17728385
>                                 - PUBLIC ENEMY
> RH5

  The config from win95 may not work. Since this card is a PnP, it has some
default values for port, irq, etc. These defaults may not be the ones in
w95. To set the parameters of the card to these, you need to use another
program, called isapnptools, available from sunsite. Or maybe you can try
to find out what are the default values for irq and i/o port by just trying
with setserial. The documents that come with isapnptools will help. I was
using isapnptools before, but then, after finding the default values for
the card, I just turned off PnP os installed option from the bios, and
started using the card without isapnptools. Also note that you need to set
the uart with setserial, otherwise it won't work. A quick try can be echo
ATDT>/dev/modem. This should open the line. Another ATDT will hangup.

Hope this helps,
BS