According to Brian/Carol Lehr: While burning my CPU.

> > On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Brian Lehr wrote:
> >
> > > I've ran out of space on my 500 meg partition (and I haven't even
> > > downloaded the 100 meg WordPerfect 8 yet!).  I want to take another gig
> > > from Dos and make a second Linux partition (actually, a third -- also
> > > got a 48 meg swap).
> > >

> Ok, I've got the new gig partition set up for Linux.  Since that gig was
> originally my Dos "F" drive, and was automatically mounted when Linux started,
> I know that I have to now go into fstab and manually change it.  Problem is,
> when Linux now boots up, it tries to mount this DOS partition.  Thus, I am
> unable to get into Linux to change the fstab file.  When it boots, the error
> message I get is this:
>
> Kernal panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 16:07

I/m not all to sure i understand whats been done or what you are trying to
do.
If your origanal "/" (root filesystem) is still in the same place, then
there should be no problems adding another drive, you say get in there and
edit /etc/fstab, but your system is not getting that far, it cant find your
root filesystem, which suggest's you have moved the disk where it resides to
another address.

> Any ideas on how to correct this?  When I use the boot/root disk that got
> created when I first installed Linux, the fstab file doesn't show any mounted
> partitions.  So the file on the floppy is different from the one on the HD.

But you should be able to use a boot/resuce disk to access any disk, but you
will need to mount then first, either at bootime with something like
mount root=/dev/hdd1 this tells lilo to look for the root filesystem on the
first partition of the secondary disk on the secondary controller, drive F.
or after the boot disk has given you a prompt, type then;
'mount -text2 /dev/hdd1 /mnt' for example, normaly there is a dir called
/mnt made for you for this perpouse.

After mounting you can edit the offending files and rerun lilo allowing you
to boot properly the next time round.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards Richard.