According to Brian Lehr: While burning my CPU.

> I've managed to get into my main Linux partition through the boot disk,
> and changed the necessary entries in fstab.  Now Linux boots fine
> normally again.  However -- have you noticed there's always a 'however'?
> -- in the bootup, I get an error message regarding my new partition,
> hdc8, saying it's not a proper ext2 filesystem.  I've got it listed as
> such in fstab:
>
> /dev/hdc8     /brian1       ext2      defaults    1     1
>
> My other Linux partitions are:
>
> /dev/hdc6        /        ext      defaults      1      1
> /dev/hdc7       swap      swap     defaults      1      1
>
> Notice I've got hdc8 set up as brian1.  This is just to give it a name.
> However, I have no files whatsoever on that partition yet.  I don't even
> know how to see it, let alone put files on it.  So, how do I get the
> correct fs set up on it?  Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem

Well you have answered the first question yourself, you have defined
/dev/hdc8 as an ext2 filesystem when you have not yet even "made" the
filesystem, so fsck is telling you it cant define the filesystem type,
which it is told (via fstab) is ext2, but is not.

> to find the correct How To to answer these questions.  Still searching

Use mkfs to build the filesystem, read man mkfs, another option is
mkfs.ext2 but its more complicated, read the man page for details.

Basicly;
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdc8

--
Regards Richard.