Apparently you are using Slackware, no?
I suggest doing a little reading. my friend; type 'man XF86Config'
(without the quotes).  Setting up your display is kind of a black art in
Linux..you just have to mess with it (and that file) until you get it to
where you are happy with it.

Sounds like you might not have an X server loading...you need to make
sure you have at least the SVGA one starting up.  I am using almost the
same card with probably the oldest 14" VGA monitor on the planet and it
works fine so take heart, it is possible :-)

I will send you my XF86Config file directly so's to spare the list the
long-as-heck post...my machine name is leviathan.

Good luck,
Scott Taylor