According to Cloghesy, Charles: While burning my CPU.

> Finally I am out of Microsoft's grips...
>
> I purchased RedHat 5.0 last night and a MicroSolutions Backpack CDrom for my
> clean AST Advantage Explorer 486DX4/100 TFT.
>
> During installation everything looked good until it it was time to give the
> CDrom parameters.   I selected Backpack CDrom and probed which then I
> received an error.    Does this mean I need to enter the parameters for this
> CDrom in the optional parameter field?   Here is some more information on
> the system:

The error means that "autoprobe" could not find the cdrom, there are several
reasons why this does (did not) work,

1) Possably PnP is defined in the BIOS,
2) IRQ conflicht (see comments after 4)
3) Autoprobe stops before it gets to the correct address because it hit
another address and got an answer, (wrong answer (signal) received).
4) wrong jumper settings, possably not an option here as the chances are you
are using the cdrom to install your linux software.

So yes you should try defining the parameters.

If you have now installed everyting and have linux up and running, you can
still install the cdrom module by means of;
'modprobe <module.o> <addres> <irq>'
modprobe should then also install the isofs.o module. (needed to read
iso9660 files).

Help files;
/usr/doc/HOWTO/CDROM-HOWTO.gz  (read with zless)
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdrom/* (less or more)
/usr/doc/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.gz  (zless)

--
Regards Richard.