Dear All

Many thanks for all the replies.

I compiled the kernel (Redhat 5.1 2.0.35) and rebooted correctly into
the new kernel.  HOWEVER.....

I then tried to insmod the module for my SCSI card (an AHA1542).  It was
at this point that I realised I'd made a mistake and compiled the wrong
module (an AHA152x).

No problem, I thought I'll redo the whole thing again.

I redid everything, then deleted the old kernel (on reflection I'm not
even sure if this was necessary).

However on changing to /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot there's no new
kernel.  Where's it gone?  It was there last time when I compiled & I
copied it, no problem.

Can any one tell me what's happened to my kernel?

On the assumption that I should have done something (?) before
recompiling the same version of the kernel, what was it?

If necessary what is the easiest way to remove ALL the 2.0.35
directories/files (except the original 2.0.35.tar.gz) and start again?

Many thanks for any help in advance

Paul