Using recycled bits, Jacques Du Pasquier said:
% Hi,
%
% I've been using Win95 to publish web pages to my web host for some
% time. When I switched to Linux, I once forgot to translate 8 bit
% caracters (like "é") into their "element" counterparts (like
% é).
%
% I then realized that leaving them in their original form (the 8 bit
% chars straight in the HTML) would not give trouble to Linux/Win95/Mac
% browsers -- while it did when I forgot on the Win95 machine.
%
% Does that mean I can forget about "elements" from now on?

Just my $.02 worth:  I would think that writing generic HTML would
be preferred to assuming a set of capabilities limited to a given
browser or OS.  That is, using the elements, such as `&dquot:' rather
than `"' when the latter might be misinterpreted.

--
Kurt Wall
Informix on Linux FAQ: http://www.users.uswest.net/~kwall/iolfaq.html