According to [EMAIL PROTECTED]: While burning my CPU.

> Im trying to put lilo on a floppy:
>
> 1st, I created a small config file for lilo with following contents:
> boot=/dev/fd0
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> read-write
> backup=/dev/null
>       image=/boot/vmlinuz
>       (my kernel image linked in /boot)
>       label=Bootdisk
>       root=/dev/fd0
> And I did save it as bdlilo.conf

Stop right there, !!!!! (music playing in the background);

You seem to have things all mixed up, to have lilo on a floppy just
insert a "plain dos formatted flop" in drive a: </dev/fd0>

Now edit /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/fd0
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
prompt
timeout=300
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
image=/vmlinuz-2.0.35
        label=backup
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda
image=/vmlinuz.slack
        label=slack
        root=/dev/hdb1
        read-only

What does it all mean.

boot=/dev/fd0 Install lilo on a floppy instead of the MBR.
install=/boot/boot.b  Tells lilo to look in /boot
map=/boot/map          "      "       "        "
prompt  show a prompt, otherwise lilo will only load the default image
timeout=300  Wait time for input in 10ths of a second.

# Now the different images.

The first entry is the default, (one which will boot if you dont type
any text at the LILO prompt), its label is linux, (type linux at the
LILO prompt to boot this image), it looks for the "root filesystem"
on  /dev/hda2 (2nd partition of the first drive), it will be mounted
read-only so fsck has no problems, (thats just about a must).

The second entry si the old kernel (type backup at the LILO prompt),
it root is on the same partition.

The 3rd entry is for dos, (type dos at the prompt), it looks for dos
on the 1st partition of the first drive.

The 4th.
Is a Slackware system on the first partition of the second drive, lilo
will look for the root filesystem on that partition and once again
read-only.

Now change the drive and partition settings to suit your needs and
issue the command;
lilo
now lilo will install the images above.

Thats all you need to do.

Now make sure you have the orgiganal booting method still intact, (just
in case of emergency).
Reboot from the floppy.

> # I went creating a small file system on floppy:
> As "mke2fs -i 8192 -m 0 /dev/fd0 1440(I dont know what to
> put as kernel blocks)" didn t work, I did:
> mkfs -t ext2 0 /dev/fd0H1440 1440 and the file system seemed created.
> #I mounted the fs on /dev/fd0, removed the "lost+found"
> directory and created directory /boot and /dev on the mounted
> floppy.
> I had to create devices /dev/null and /dev/fd0 as follow:
> cp -R /dev/null /mnt/dev
> cp -R /dev/fd0 /mnt/dev
>
> Then:
> cp /boot/boot.b /mnt/boot
> cp bdlilo.conf /mnt
> cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt
> Then:
> lilo -v -C bdlilo.conf -r /mnt
>
> And all the directories and files are really on the floppy:
> [bdlilo.conf] [dev] [boot]  [vmlinuz] ..etc
>
> But when I reboot my system with that floppy inside, I dont
> get to any lilo prompt. My system completely ignores the lilo boot floppy I
> ve created and boots directly to my first partition
> (win95)..
> What is missing??

Nothing realy, you are very creative, execpt you dont seem to have read up
on HOWTO install lilo. It seams you read 'man lilo' but try
/usr/doc/lilo-!!!/README (redhat system).

Anyway, the above will help i am sure.

--
Regards Richard.