According to [EMAIL PROTECTED]: While burning my CPU.

> I wonder why I can boot from a install floppy, install or upgrade from
> my CDROM drive but after Linux is running I can't mount that
> CDROM drive.  I get a message like  " /dev/hdd not found in
> /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab.  I've tried to edit /etc/fstab to have it say
> /dev/cdrom is /dev/hdd but when I try to mount that I read that
> /dev/hdd is not a valid block device.

Providing you have the needed cdrom driver compiled into the kernel or
compiled as a kernel module then there should be no problem's.

My cdrom is on the second controller.

/dev/hdc so /dev/hdc is symbolicly linked to /dev/cdrom

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            3 Feb 25  1998 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

The entry in fstab looks like.

/dev/hdc    /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

Now simply typing 'mount /dev/cdrom' or 'mount /dev/hdc' mounts the drive
into /mnt/cdrom using the is09660 filesystem.

If your symbolic link is anything else than linked to your /dev/hdd then
that is possably the problem.

rm /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom

You did not configure the CDrom properly when installing your distribution.
Or you thought you did but there was an error which you possably overlooked.

--
Regards Richard.