Daniel,

        This sounds very much like the situation where `dip` is not suid.
>From the superuser id, do 'chmod u+s /usr/bin/dip' and try again.

        I dont know if suid is a requirement for `dip` to work (the answer
is probably yes since the general policy is that only root has write
access to devices), but that is the only way I could get it to work.

        As regards your second question, take a look at the linux-newbie
faq at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

Regards,
Kenneth

There is no such thing as luck. 'Luck' is nothing but an absence of bad luck.