Using recycled bits, Ronald V. Vazquez said:
% Hello list:
% I was wondering if there is a place "best suited" to install
% applications on my system. I downloaded Star Office and I was wondering
% if I should just make a new directory  /staroffice where to install the

/usr/local or /opt would be good choices.

% program or if there is a better place. Second should I remove my version
% of Netscape before istalling the new one? Thanks, Ronald.

I would, but you run the risk of losing global configuration files.  Save
a copy off to a safe place, first.

Kurt
--
... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking
zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.