According to Charles E. Gelm: While burning my CPU.

> I am trying to install slakware 3.6.0 on a
> Compaq Deskpro XE 486sx33 with 4 megabytes of RAM,
> /dev/hda maxtor 7080at (80M), /dev/hdb seagate st5850a (850M).
>
> When I try to boot with either bare.i or lowmem.i bootdsks, I get:
> LIL-
>  Is this a floppy geometry error ?  How can this be ?

Documentation from LILO suggests a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map
without running the map installer.

Now as to why i can only guess, your H/D is not detected as it should be in
the BIOS, possably WIN/DOS has no problems with that but LILO will and gives
the error.

I presume you copy the images with the RAWRITE.EXE program supplyed on the
source disk, or you use dd under linux to copy the image onto floppy.
If my assumption is correct and you still have the same problem i would
certanly check the H/D geometry in the BIOS with the drive documentation.

>  When I use:
> loadlin c:\slakware\kernels\bare.i\zimage /dev/fd0 rw ramdisk=0
>  I get:
> VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00

As i see it the command used is not correct, you are telling loadlin to use
c:\slakware\kernels\bare.i\zimage (a kernel image) to boot a device without
a linux system on it, in this case a floppy.
I have never used loadlin, however one would imagen that the command should
be;

loadlin zimage rw root=/dev/ram initrd=color.gz load_ramdisk=1

I dont have slackware 3.6 but i do have 3.4 which has a file called FAQ.TXT
Read the Q. about;
"Is it possible to install this operating system without a floppy drive?"

Pay attention to the part of copying certain files into a spesific
directory, before running loadlin.
I am sure it will be there on the 3.6 cdrom.

Hope this helps.

>  This machine boots DOS v6.22 from either floppy or C:.
> ?

Then so will lilo and in turn linux, if told howto boot and where to boot.

--
Regards Richard.