RedHat 1.0? I don't think you can directly upgrade that far back. You can as far
back as 3.03 I think. If you have important files then back them up (or just
save to disk). You might want to save XF86Config if you have X setup the way you
want it. Otherwise just do a fresh install, be sure to reformat to get rid of
everything. Personal opinion; stick with RedHat, especially for a newbie. I've
tried Debian and it is a powerful dist. but may be somewhat daunting for a
newbie.
My personal order of prefences;
RedHat
Suse