(Sorry if some sort of this question has been asked already but
I wasn't able to read the list for some weeks)

I've got some problems with an ISA-PnP-Soundcard. - I know, some guys
of you can't hear it anymore...  ;-)

It's a very cheap card with the "Avance Logic 100+" chip. I found out
the working IRQs and DMA channels using the DOS config utility. It
seems that this card is really very compatible with the SB16!!! In
Linux I configured the card with isapnp and it seems to function -
almost. I did set it to IRQ 9, I/O 220, DMA 1 and and DMA 3. The card
only accepts DMA channels 0 - 3. The MPU-401 MIDI device on the card
requires an own IRQ, I used No. 11 and Port 300. I configured the
kernel (2.0.36) to use the card as a SB16 (CONFIG_MPU401 not defined
because of the advice in various help texts, but with SB_MPU_IRQ=11).
If I do a "cat /dev/sndstat" everything looks fine. Insinde my
/var/log/messages I found "kernel: SB16: Bad or missing 16 bit DMA".
If I try "cat sound16bit.wav > /dev/dsp" only noise comes out of my
speakers. Using an 8 bit WAV file it functions perfectly. I already
tried to use DMA channel No. 1 for both but wihout success. Is there
a known solution for this? Using DOS the soundcard functions very well
and there are no problems. However, I am able to play 16Bit Wav Files
in Linux using "mxv"!? Does this mean that my card is correctly
configured or is mxv unsing some sort of 8-bit-downmixing?

After loading the kernel sound module the volume on the card is set to
almost 100%. Is it possible to access the mixer directly after loading
the module and what program should I use if there is any? I only know
"xmix" but this is for X. And everytime the kernel reloads the sound
module the volume will be set to the default value. Is there a way to
keep the module in the kernel or even better: How can I change the
defaults so that kerneld can load and unload the module as often as he
wants and the mixer settings will remain? (BTW: I know some people load
the sound module with "modprobe" - will this make the module
"permament" in the kernel?)

Andreas