According to Tundra: While burning my CPU.

> I am very new to Linux and am sure this ranks as one of the sillier
> questions;however I am simply having trouble just getting started.
>
> The Redhat manual states that the "run level" in the above file need
> to be edited/changed from 3 to 5 to start X windows automatically. It
> is one of the first things Redhat suggests to be done.
>
> I tried to access the file while logged as root in the character cell
> interface and permission was denied. I am sure this was the incorrect
> way, but am not sure what I should do next. Any help would be much
> appreciated.

What is "character cell interface".? If you are root then you can do
"anything" to your system, even wipe the whole system clean with one
command, "root" is very powerfull and is evil.

Simply login on another console as root, then use an editor in the form
of;

'joe /etc/inittab'
'vi /etc/inittab'