On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Paul Livingstone wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Having recently got my own Linux system up and running, with Xfree86, my
> questions are only now beginning.
>
> How do I install a file which I have downloaded from the web in .tgz
> format i.e. xpaint.tgz?

do tar zxvf xpaint.tgz then cd to the xpaint directory and read the docs.
normally you'd have to issue the make command to create the binaries
and make install to copy them into the approp. directories.

> How do I set a screen saver to become active? Ive seen xset but it
> doesn't seem to allow you to change the screen saver.

put the ff. in ~/.xinitrc:

xautolock -time 10 &

this activates xautolock after 10 minutes of inactivity