Redhat comes with very handy tools to get your ppp link working. As you
seem not to be confortable with unix yet, you might want to use these
tools.
try linuxconf and control-panel, they both have the ability to configure
your ppp link.
Once made, they've got buttons (under X) to initiate the connexion, but
you can use "/sbin/ifup ppp0" and "/sbin/ifdown ppp0" to initiate and
terminate you connexion.

Redhat configures the system in its own way (in the directory
/etc/sysconf). I discourage you to put thing you get elsewhere when it
already exists in redhat. For example copying scripts in /etc/ppp might
break the utilities like linuxconf and control-panel which might expect
to find something else here.

By the way,
the ppp-* files are just scripts, yes as are *.bat in dos ... so i don't
undestand your question.
these scripts are suppose to use chat to initiate the phone link and then
launch pppd get in network.
minicom is only used to test the connexion by hand and detect if you need
pap/chap ou nothing(login+passwd). There is no need to use a terminal
emulation when you want the link automated (chat deals with this part of
the connexion).

Hope this help