According to michael jones: While burning my CPU.

> thanx to both richard & cort for your reply-s.
>
> according to Richard Adams: while burning the midnight  hootchy-coils:
>
> > According to michael jones: While burning my CPU.
> > >
> > > greetings.
> > > i have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDS i installed Red Hat 5.2 on.
> > > when the kernel begins booting the screen font changes to something
> > > that is very "blocky". i have done the reading of all the man pages i
> > > could find that i thought were relevant, but can't quite get it. i
> > > believe
> > > 'setfont' would be the thing to use, but can't figure out the usage.
> > > could
> > > someone please help me with the proper syntax, etc.
> >
> > setfont alt-8x14   is what i use, fonts are located in
> > /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts
>
> the 8x14 causes a "shadowbox" effect. the output is contained to the
> middle of the screen. the art-film effect i guess. i tried a few others and
> the ones that were "8x16"-like all seemed the same as the original. i guess
> i can live with it. i was just curious why it would change so drastically. it
> never did that on my desktop, just this laptop. the font used by the bios looks

8x14 is default (normaly), so i cant see why it should press everyting into
the middle of the screen, unless you use an "option" command for video at
boottime with LILO.

> great. i read the readme in the /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts directory and it
> really only says where each font is from or the language, like greek, etc.
>
> question: is there a resource for other fonts to try?

You read the README but missed;

Some more fonts can be found in
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Keyboards/fontpack.tgz

If all consolefonts are installed then you should have +/- 100 different
fonts in /usr/lib/kbd/consolefonts
Maybe the file fontpack.tgz is just the same file, i dont know.

> > A word about setting fonts, you must set the font before you start "gpm" if
> > its used of course, otherwise your mouse will not funtion properly on the
> > new font.
>
> i ran gpm -k   then   setfont -alt-8x16 (and altb-8x16, etc) then   gpm. is
> this
> right? it seemed to work, but now when i logout of X the font is changed to
> the 8x14, squishing the output to the center of the screen again.

That would be ok for gpm, but i cant see why the screen changes back when
exiting from X, maybe that could also point to an "option" setting with
LILO. Other than that i dont know, i dont have those problems.

O another thought, if you use 'setterm' to change anything or your
enviroment has anything other than,
COLS=80
COLUMNS=80
Which is standard, then that could also produce the strange effects you
describe.

--
Regards Richard.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Merry Xmas to all, and may all your troubles be small (ones).