[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am urgently in need of your help.  I am running a linux server with
> registered IP address (202.141.133.30).  I want to connect my local lan
> (which has 200+ nodes and the nodes are assigned private class C IP
> addresess - 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.254). I want to connect the nodes
> connected on the local lan with private IP addresses to access the
> internet.  I believe IP masquerading on linux box does that.  I have done
> the following:
>
> I have enabled the IP masquerading feature on my kernel.  (I am running
> RedHat 5.1 with 2.0.35 kernel) with other related features like ip
> forwarding etc.
>
> >From the IP Masquerade - DOCS, i found that the linux box connected on the
> internet should be assigned one of the private IP addresses (192.168.1.1)
> and make that as a gateway for the local network.
>
> My question is the linux box already has a registered IP address for
> connecting the internet (202.141.133.30).  How will i give one more
> private ip address to the same linux box so that i can make it as a
> gateway for my local lan.

Paul,

    I am not sure that I understand your problem, so let me tell you what I
understood, before I detail a solution. You have a machine A which is not
connected to any network except an ISP's . It has a static ip-address. You
also have a private network which you want to connect to the internet and you
want the machine A to act as the gateway. Machine A is currently not on the
private network.

    I think that you are experiencing difficulty because you believe that one
host can have only one ip-address. This is NOT true. The relationship is more
like one network interface can have only one ip-address. This means that if
you have two ethernet cards in a machine, and they are connected to two
different networks, then the machine can have two ip-addresses. In your case,
your machine A (which should be running ip-masquerading) will have one
statically assigned ip-address for the connection to the ISP, and a private
network address for the ethernet (or any other type of connection you are
using) connection to your private network.

    If I have misunderstood your question, or have not addressed your problem,
please let me know.

Kenneth

--
There is no such thing as luck. 'Luck' is nothing but an absence of bad luck.