According to Ken Russell: While burning my CPU.

> Thanks everyone for telling me how to find directory size--I won't forget
> that command again--duh! ;-)
>
> Now, as I begin to play with it, let me extend my question a bit.
>
> First, is there an efficient way to determine my user's directory sizes
> without doing a "du" for each one separately? I would like to get a list of
> user home directory sizes, while ignoring the other system directories in
> /home. I ask because the previous admin did not put any quotas on user
> directories, and I want to see if any users have unreasonably large home
> directories (so we don't max-out our drive). Is there a way to do a "grep
> [group name] > du -ks" to show a list of the total directory size for just
> user's directories? Please excuse my lack of shell knowledge.

Well try the following to create a file which will contain ALL the sizes.
cd /home
du -b >bytes.file

A complete list has now been created and can be seen in the file
"bytes.file"

> Second I want to back up the /home directory. Right now we do not have an
> easy way (or  large enough backup media) to back up the two hard drives we
> are using. But, I figured I might be able to just FTP a copy of user
> accounts to another drive for the time being (also perhaps the passwd and
> group files?), then at least if we lost the hard drive we would have
> backups for user account data. Later next year we hope to install a tape
> backup for the machine. Does this sound feasable? Are there other files I
> should also backup with FTP? Other things I should consider (aside from
> getting a tape backup)?

Yes you can simply use tar to create an archive, you can then transfer the
archive to anywhere you choose.

--
Regards Richard.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Merry Xmas to all, and may all your troubles be small (ones).