According to Ken Russell: While burning my CPU.

> Helpful people,
>
> This is going to be difficult to explain--I hope I can make it clear enough
> to solicit some suggestions as to how I would solve the problem.
>
> I administer a RH 5.1 box, let's call it fushia.bio.plant.edu. Its been
> working pretty good except for a recent problem that was explained here and
> fixed with the help of people on this list. Here is the new problem:
>
> I can email out of the box and into the box with no problem. However, when
> users email to other users within the system (by just addressing it to the
> user name, such as "joes" and not using the complete domain name), the
> message disappears into a black hole. The message is not delivered to the
> user, nor returned to the sender. It is received by root in a message that
> says that there is a "fatal error" and that "user [EMAIL PROTECTED]" is
> not known. The "saturn" host name is not included as part of the address
> when it is sent out. It seems like a network configuration problem. Where
> do I look to fix it.

You could try an "alias" for the account name, i presume its "joes"
/etc/aliases

joes:   /joes
or
joes:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dont forget to run 'newaliases' to make the new entry valid.

> *ALSO* a seemingly unrelated problem (this box has no end of problems): I
> just connected to check it and when I asked "who" to see who was connected,
> I received "who: Memory exhausted" what might be the problem here?

Difficult to say, as you dont say what other procceses are running and
you should have checked the memory with 'free', however, to little swap
space, or not enought memory in the machine to start with.
A buggy program, which eats up memory and does not free "used" memory.
Check with either top or ps to see where the memory is all being used.

--
Regards Richard.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Merry Xmas to all, and may all your troubles be small (ones).