According to Stephen Cornell: While burning my CPU.

> I got an error on booting up my laptop this morning (Red Hat 5.2,
> kernel 2.0.36) - fsck reported `maximum mount number exceeded - check forced'
> (or something similar - those may have not been the exact words) for two of my
> partitions.  This is the first time I've seen this message.  The system had
> been shut down cleanly before (/sbin/shutdown -h now).  Should I be worried?

No that is perfectly normal, no worries at all, its a periodical check.
You can alter the behaviuor by means of 'tune2fs' but NOT on a mounted
read/write file system.

'man tune2fs' will explain more.

> On the subject of fsck, what does the `N% non-contiguous' message mean?  Does
> it merely refer to fragmentation, or is it actually an error message?

I'm not all to sure on this, but i belive it is a sum of blocks which are
scattered around the system, i realy never have bothered to find out just
what it means, i would be all ears to hear about it tho' from anyone else.

--
Regards Richard.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Merry Xmas to all, and may all your troubles be small (ones).