On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

-I have a strange thing happening..
-Once upon a time, I was able to use 'adduser' to add a new user to my system
-and I would look at the ./etc/passwd file and see the password encoded
-properly as were all the other ones.
-
-Now, when I add a new user in puts in an :x: and the user can not log into
-Linux.
-
-I am running version 2.0.35 of linux. I wonder if this newer version may be
-the problem are do I have the ownerships and permissions messed up.?

no, this is normal, you have shadow passwords installed, there's a root-read/
write only file called /etc/shadow that holds the real passwords (stops nasty
people stealing them, /etc/passwd has to be world readable so that users can
log in)

adduser usually prompts you for a password.
passwd allows you to change that.
if the user can't log in at all, do the following (assuming you are root)

su username
[su won't ask for a password because you are root]
passwd
[fill in as appropriate]
[tell user what password is and make them alter it themselves]

--
>> I Like England Just Fine, But I Ain't Eating Any Of That Beef <<
<<  MailTo: root <at> kermit "dot" globalnet /dot\ co 'dot' uk   >>