Curtis Wood wrote:

> I've tried this before and the problem is that the modems all use there
> own special format for "voice" files, and to top it off the modem is
> what creates it NOT software (at least in the versions I've used - I've
> got a US Robotics 33.6 voice/fax/modem...) There really isn't any
> problem using getty to answer the phone and all - that I can think of
> off the top of my head, the problem is going to be coming up with the
> voice files. Also you need to get a modem that will show you ALL the
> command sets - like for example how to set the modem to answer in voice
> mode as opposed to normal operation, and the commands to play and record
> the voice files...

Dear Curtis: (I am not on the mailing list)
Thanks for your help. So u have successfully setup a US Robotics modem as an
answer machine under linux? You mean each modem has its own voice command?
Just like ATxxxx...?  How could it know if the incoming call is voice, data
or fax? How could it play and record voice file? What's the voice file
format? I think SoundBlaster should be used to play and record voice. The
modem only need to be commanded to play with MIC and Speaker plug. Am I
right?

--
Chi Cheng, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tel:21-65302080