Look on your Linux server in /etc/inetd.conf . Look for a line that begins
with the entry "pop3".

If it is not commented out, you already have a pop3 server running.

If it is commented out (starts with a # character), remove the #. Then
restart inetd with the command

killall -SIGHUP inetd

Now you have a pop3 server running.

Depending on what you've done with /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny (for
more info, "man 5 hosts_access"), you may need to make some adjustments there.

If you don't have an inetd.conf file (unlikely, but not impossible), you've
installed an unusually limited subset of Linux apps. In that case, you'll
need to tell us more about your setup -- but the general answer is that all
the major distributions of Linux (Slackware, Red Hat, Debian, Caldera, and
S.u.S.E.) include pop3 servers in their standard installation choices.

At 12:10 PM 1/22/99 +0000, M.N.Smith wrote:
>I am wishing to set up a pop3 server on my linux machine but I've looked
>and looked for a package and I've had no look. Does anyone know of where
>I can get hold of one?
762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]