When this has happened to me in the past, the cause was my trying to run a
mode that my monitor didn't support (illegal values for vertical or
horizontal sync, I forget which). One thing to check is if it occuers in all
modes (switch modes with CRTL-ALT-[Numeric Pad]+ and CRTL-ALT-[Numeric
Pad]-). If some work, recheck whether your monitor setting are consistent
with the hardware.

If this isn't the problem, we'll probably need to know
                what kind of video card you have
                which X server(s) you have tried
                which version of XFree86 you have installed

At 05:58 PM 1/25/99 -0800, lafur Haukur Árnason wrote:
>Hello, i'm from Iceland and I have a problem installing the X11 system on
>my computer. The screen is devided vertically in two halfs when I start
>X11. I've configured my monitor but I think this has something to do with
>my video card.
>
>I hope you can help me.
>Olafur Haukur Arnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]