According to Catalin Bucur: While burning my CPU.

> Hello,
>
> I have the following line in /etc/auto.misc file:
> floppy  -fstype=auto,rw,user  :/dev/fd0
> If I try to mount a floppy which is DOS formatted, it doesn't work sometimes.
> All I have to do is to replace the word "auto" with "msdos" or "vfat". Are there
> some bugs or is anything wrong?
> I have RedHat5.2 with 2.0.36 kernel.

Firstly  i dont have redhat 5.2 so i hav'nt got a clue what "/etc/auto.misc"
does or is supposed to do.
However the linux way to mount a floppy drive is with the "mount" command,
and have an entry in /etc/fstab (as shown underneath) to mount the floopy
with the command 'mount /dev/fd0' or 'mount /floppy'

/dev/fd0                /floppy         msdos    user,noauto 0 0

You can mount /dev/fd0 with almost any filesystem, as long as you have
kernel support fot that particular filesystem type.

You can also have multi /dev/fd0 entrys in /etc/fstab but you must define a
seperate mount directory, this method is not recomended.

/dev/fd0                /floppy         ext2    user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy         msdos    user,noauto 0 0

'user' allows user accounts to mount /dev/fd0
'noauto' do not mount /dev/fd0 at boot time
The first 0 is for fs_freq (dump) default is 0
The second 0 is for fsck a value of 0 (default) will tell fsck not to do a
system check.

--
Regards Richard.