I can help on the 166 end. It runs decently on an alpha 166 here (specs:
DEC MULTIA w/external 650mb scsi drive, 64mb ram, RedHat 5.2 alpha
build). as far as I know dec doesnt use any prporietary drives for their
systems. as for the cpu it depends on the motherboard. Prices are
another thing you can find multia 166's with VGA and scsi and pci for
100 bucks at http://www.cpumicromart.com   so I guess memory and hdd
would play into the picture, saying no more than 200 bucks would be a
good price for the system in question.
Clay Mellender