> Hello.  I would like some help/tips/pointers on setting up a very small
> and >>>inexpensive<<< network for my home.
>
> I am very new to the world of Linux (RH version 5.2)--I've only been
> using it since this past December.  So far it's been dual-booting with
> Win 98.  I also have a printer attached to this PC.  My second PC has
> Win NT.  Both have modems.  The PC's are approx. 20-30 feet apart.  What
> I would like to do is network them both to share the printer and dialup
> access to the net.  I've looked through the FAQ's and How-To's etc. but
> they seemed a bit advanced.
>
> These are some the question's I have so far:
>
> 1)  What kind of connection would I need, i.e., NIC cards, cabling
> type/length, ...

Inexpensive, huh?   How 'bout this:
  2 NIC's.  10BaseT (or 100BaseT for a few bucks more).
            I picked up a 10/100BaseT PCI card for $18 as a local
            show.

  Cabling:  Cat 5.  should be able to pick this up fairly cheaply.
            for you 20-30' apart, this will be no problem.

  Cross-Over adapter: $1 or so.  I picked up one at a local show.
            The problem this RJ-45 cabling it that it is assumed
            that you are connecting to a hub.   In order to connect 2
            NICs together without a hb, you need the transmit-wires of
            from one end ot the connection to connect to the receive-wires
            of the other.  There are 2 solutions:
               1)  Buy a special cable (called a cross-over cable)
                   which will do what you want, but becomes worthless
                   if you get a hub.
               2)  get a regular Cat 5 cable, and use a cross-over adapter,
                   which attaches to one end, swithcing the transmit and
                   receive wires.
            I suggest #2, but I had a bitch-of-a-time finding a cross-over
            adapter.  You may not be as patient.  Look around for the adapter.
            If you don't find one, just get the cross-over cable.
            If you do get a cross-over cable, (rather than an adapter and regular
            cable), do yourself a favor and LABEL IT A CROSS OVER CABLE.
            I can't tell you how many folks I know who have wasted hours trying to
            fix a network problem, and found out they were accidently using
            cross-over cables with a hub.

>          ... compatibility with Linux and NT?

Sure!  Look into Samba (I don't use it personally, so I can't be of much help.)

> Can I connect the two PC's through their modems?

I don't think so.  Even if you can it wouldn't be worth the trouble.
If you want to go the Ultra-cheap route, you can connect them using
serial-port to serial-port or parrallel-to-parallel.

> 2)  Would I need Windows installed on both, or can I have the server run
> Linux and the client run Win NT?

Any combination is fine.  I prefer Linux-Linux, but Linux-NT is fine.

> 3)  How much would it cost?  (I'm in Canada, so when you quote could you
> indicate whether it's US $$$ or not.)

The suggestion I mentioned above should be fairly cheap. All of this is in US$

2 10/100BaseT cards:  $20x2 = $40
    -or-
2x Used 10BaseT cards $10x2 = $20

Cat 5 cable:  No more than $10 for 20-30'.

Cross over adapter (If you don't get cross over cable):  $1

Hope this helps,

Bryan