At 03:33 AM 1/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks all. I couldn't tell you if they run or not, there is no monitor.
[deleted]
>       Are there anything specific I will need to configure the video card &
>monitor as, or can I just pull the plug and boot it up?
[deleted]

No, nothing specific (unless you want to try Deirdre's suggestion, which I
don't know how to do). For a "headless" system of the kind I use (no display
attached, but you Do want to be able to add one if a problem arises), you
want the console to come up in ordinary text mode, and that requires no
configuration. If, on the other hand, your host is set to come up with X11
running (via xdm - runlevel 4 on Slackware, something different on most
other distributions), you should change that (in /etc/iniitab - the line
that begins id:) to a runlevel that uses ordinary consoles (on Slackware,
runlevel 3 - your distribution may vary).

If you're using a switch to share a monitor, none of the above applies - in
that case, configure the system as you would if it were eonected in the
ordinary way.

PS to Deirdre - how do you do that? Is it a BIOS setting, a Linux
customization, or what? It would be nice if I could modify one of my host in
the way you describe.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]