Carl Brown wrote:

> Startx is ignoring the -bpp n option.
> If I run Xconfigurator and accept the default it suggests, 32bpp, 1024 x 768,
> X starts in 32bpp mode. If I set the modes I want, then X starts in 8bpp mode,
> regardless of what I specify. The desired modes are 1280 x 1024 for 8, 16, and
> 24bpp. I would use 1280 x1024 @ 32bpp, but my video card won't do it. My
> ..xinitrc file is as suggested in the KDE instructions, consisting of one line:
>
> exec startkde

In which way are you starting X-Windows? Is it something like "startx --
-bpp 32" from shell? IMHO, if you have onlu one thing starting from your
.xinitrc it should look like "startkde" (without exec). In case if you
are starting something else _before_ WM you should write for example:

xterm &
cool_x_prog &
exec startkde

[..skip..]

-- With best regards, Alexander.

Sigh.  I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on
the "leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice.
(Craig E. Groeschel)