As any of you who read this list regularly already know, the question "How
do I get my internal modem to work with Linux?" comes up a lot. One problem
in answering it is identifying which internal modems are HSP modems
("Winmodems" using Host Signal Processing), which won't work with Linux no
matter what, and which are real modems with actual serial ports included.
The Web resources I've found (at www.winmodem com and www.56k.com) are a
start at this, but I don't think they go far enough.

I'd like to try to compile a database of internal modems for Intel-CPU
compatible computers that lists *both* HSP and non-HSP modems. To that end,
I'd ask that anyone who has succeeded *or* failed in getting a modem to work
with Linux send me information about it, namely:

Manufacturer and model
HSP ("Winmodem") or Not?
ISA or PCI bus?
setup by jumpers, config progam (DOS or Win?), or PnP?
Comments, special issues, whatever.

I'd encourage anyone who is willing to help on this to send me the
information privately (since a large number of responses will clutter up the
list for others), and I promise to post a summary of results (&/or a URL
where they can be found) when I get enough responses to report on. Please do
include older modems (anything 28.8 or faster), since often the questions
that come up are about reconfiguring old computers to run Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

P.S. If anyone knows of a good Web resource on this topic that I've missed,
please let me know.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]