> machines (3 win95, 1 slackware) can happily ping one another and telnet one
> another. I suspect the answer lies somewhere in smb.conf file but can't
> pinpoint it yet.

   I may be dense (no comment!;-) but I sometimes have the same problems.
Perfectly logical looking smb.conf files fail.  The tactic I've learned to
take is to back off to the most bare-bones smb.conf file you can imagine.  Get
something working, then add parms one at a time, checking often to see if you
broke something.

> And when the file server is operational, where are the files installed? In
> the DOS partition (since they are DOS-type files) or in the Linux partition?

   With Samba, DOS/Windows files are stored in a Linux partition/subdirectory
-- where ever you tell smb.conf that you want to store them.

> And how does the client (to use a Windoze term) map and logon to the server
> HDD?

   Logon is done using the same username/password as you use on the Linux box.

   Once the user is verified by Linux, the Windows user is free to have any
drive mappings set that he wants to (provided, of course, that he has
permission to accesss those shares).

> If I'm not providing enough information for you to help, could you point to
> the general direction where I could find answers?

   I assume you've already read the Samba/SMB HOWTO?

--
 Regards,  | Debian GNU/Linux - http://www.debian.org - More software than
 .         | *any* distribution, rock solid reliability, quality control,