I looked at the messages file in more detail.  There is an interesting thing
that has happened.  When I did not use kppp the messages file shows the thing
that you are looking for when I try to connection but, now that I use kppp it
shows none of the thing you wont.  Could it be storing these things in a
different file somewhere.  Also, /etc/ppp/options contains nothing.  Thank you
for your time and effort so far.

Micah