I'm not really a Linux newbie yet, I'm trying to be one.

I subscribed to this list in the hopes that someone would be able to help me
with the install problems I am having.

The system I am trying to install LINUX Slackware 3.6 (Kernel Version
2.0.35) on is a Pentium 133 MHz computer with 32 MB of DRAM.  It has a STB
NITRO 3D video card which uses the S3/ViRGE chipset, a D-LINK Ethernet card,
and a Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16.  It uses an older TOSHIBA 8X CD-ROM.

I have used RAWRITE.EXE to make disk images of BARE.I and COLOR.GZ.  I made
these images on brand new, low-level formatted 1.44 MB floppy disks.  I
insert the disk with the image of BARE.I into the computer and power it on,
and it works. The install gets to the part where it asks for you to insert
the root disk, and at this point I insert the disk with the COLOR.GZ image
and press Enter as indicated.  However, I get no further, as I get a
different error message almost every time I try this.  I have gotten errors
that range from "Kernel Panic:  Free List Empty" to nothing but a screen of
Hex Code, and a General Protection Error 000.  I have no idea where this
comes from, it happens no matter what root I try.  I have tried UMSDOS.GZ,
COLOR.GZ, and TEXT.GZ, not with the intent to actually try the install, but
just to see if it would work.  These boot disks work on other computers,
just not this one.

So I figured it should be a hardware problem -- and it probably is.  But
then I went and tried to install Windows 95 on it, and windows works fine.
I also installed MSDOS 6.0, and that also worked fine.

Does anyone have any idea what I should try and do?

Thanks,

Nate