On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:
>     I've been doing the integrity checks on RPM installs, but that was to
> check against files being corrupted in download. Belatedly, I realize that
> would also check for tampering.

        Of course.  Actually ckecksums were invented for ckecking the
download quality.  And pgp is the pack for making sure that is the
original package.

>      I have textutils as part of my RH 5.2 install.  I'll check the man
> pages on cksum.

        And md5sum.  It's somehow easier to use when it comes to ckeck
some files.

> >Else you sould get the pgp pack and compile it.  In the pgp man page will
>     Where do I get the pgp pack?  Does it work with RPMS?

        If you live outside US check out http://www.pgpi.com/ - it has
free downloads for Linux/dos/win.  I guess, if you live in US you have to
use http://www.pgp.com/ (not sure about this URL).  Actually you don't
need any RPM.  I compiled it with just a make (no other settings).  Make
sure to read the documentation - pgp is a vrey powerful tool, but if isn't
used the right way its value is null.  Also the pack it's ckecked with
md4sum.  So it's a good way to see it working.

>     (Yes, I know RPMS are a crutch, but right now I find them a useful tool
> as well.)

        After you'll read the pgp manual you'll see this is very dangerous
(in this case).  And as I stated above it compiles in no time and almost
without any help from your part.

        Raider
--
                ``Liberate tu-temet ex inferis''