According to Pollywog: While burning my CPU.

> On 26-Feb-99 Bogdan Taru wrote:
> >         Hi,
> >
> >  You can comment them in your /etc/services.
> >
> > Have fun,
> > bogdan
> >
> > gao ge wrote:
> >
> >> hello everyone:
> >>           how do i stop my "ftp and telnet" service at boot time?
> >>                                         thanks!!!
>
> I usually comment them out in /etc/inetd.conf and then restart inetd.
> Is it better to do that in /etc/services?

No its not better.

Simply commenting out the line for the telnet port and then sending a sighup
to the inetd process will only stop outgoing telnets, incomming telnets will
still work, at least thats what happens here.

Even if you comment out the telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf incomming telnets
to other ports will still work, if the machine is standalone then just kill
inetd.

'man inetd' will explain more.

--
Regards Richard.