OK, I'm stumped.

Background:
1) I have a cable modem from MediaOne.  Works great.
2) I have a redHat 5.2 system, kernel 2.2.1, dhcpcd-1.3.16.

Here's the problem:  I can connect to my ISP with a "dhcpcd eth0".
It works.  Sometimes.  I drop the connection with "dhcpcd -k".
That works.  The problem is that the only way I can get the
"dhcpcd eth0" to work is if I do a "dhcpcd -k" IMMEDIATELY beforehand.
When I say immediately, I'm not kidding.  If I wait a second or two
between the "dhcpcd -k", and the "dhcpcd eth0", it won't work.
If I do wait, the "dhcpcd eth0" will say it worked, but "ping", etc,
will fail.  If this happens, I have to do a "dhcpcd -k", and, within
a second or two, follow it with a "dhcpcd eth0".  Then it works.

My questions:  Anyone ever see this behavior before?
               Anyone know who I should contact?
               Anyone know what the hell is causing this?

Thanks,
        Bryan