I went into my BIOS at boot, hitting F1 as thats the only way I
know how.  I have a Phoenix BIOS 1.08 (HP says its the latest for
my HP Pavillion 6356) but so no option for plug and play.  I went
through all the screens.  The only thing that I did see that may help
is the installed OS option which is currently set to 98/NT with a
choice of win95 or DOS.  Would setting it to DOS take care of
this? Or possibly create other problems in the process.  I am goint
to use the instal disks right now, but thats probably all I'll have time
to do.  I'm leaving for break in like an hour.

My cables are fine and brand new and my card has worked
wonderfully under win.  I'll check the the /etc/modules to see if I
find anything.  I won't be able to do this for a week though :(  But I'll
do so once I get back.

Thanks
tom

p.s.  If for some reason a message to me bounces back from my
mail server do to my box being too full, you can just send the
message to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Turning off Plug and Play in your bios just makes sure that The
opperating
> system is not messing around with the stuff that the Bios has
set. This way
> you protect not Plug&Play opperating systems and Plug&Play
opperating
> systems don't have trouble with it. You only protect Linux this
way because
> Windows is not able to fool around with everything.
>
> The disk's for that nic can be found at:
>
> http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509b.htm
>
> You probebly need version 6.02.This includes the latest drivers
and
> everything. The install program located on one of the disks
includes the
> diagnostics program.
>
> Here I have a system running a 3C905B and I have set the bios
to "Not
> Plug&Play OS" This way OS/2 won't get in trouble.
> On my Linux system I have done the same because there I also
have Win 98 and
> Win NT.
>
> Have you checked all the network cables? And is the NIC
properly inserted
> into the Mainboard, I have had some trouble with a nic till I saw
that the
> NIC was not properly connected.
>
> As far as I know, the drivers for the 3c509b adapter in Linux find
the
> interupt itself. Is this not the case, you could look in
/etc/modules to see