Not quite sure what you mean by "two pages" in your message. The command you
list will dump the file to the printer, and paging will depend on what is in
the file.

The usual way to page a raw text file is by including ^L, aka form feed,
characters. But some documents do it with linefeeds, relying on knowing how
many lines they can print before a printer advances to the next page -- and
since this isn'r really standard, it's not unusual for these to print wrong.

So without better understanding what the page-break characteristics of the
"shell" file are, it is hard to offer any helpful advice. Perhaps you can
clarify this bit of your question? Also, what printer?

At 10:04 AM 2/27/99 +0200, Bogdan Taru wrote:
>Hi all,
>
> I want to print a text file to a line printer and I've encountered this
>problem: lpr tries to concatenate two pages on a single page. This is
>really great for saving paper, but otherwise isn't very cute.
> To print the file 'shell' I've used:
>
> 'cat shell | lpr -P my_printer'.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]