Hey guys - for the last two years I've had a winmodem...but I finally find
myself in the market for a real modem.  I've decided that an external is
probably my best bet, because I can take it to college with me, and I've
read that ALL external modems are compatible with Linux.  However, I also
read that the Zoom Dualmode 56Kx (an external model) has a reprogrammable
DSP.  What do I make of this?  I can buy this for $100.00, whereas the
3Com/USR external 56k model is $150.00...but will the zoom work (as well,
or at all), if it has the DSP?  And is it true or not that all external
modems are compatible with Linux?  Any answers/suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

-William