this is my ppp-dialer script which i cut down , didn't make a difference
..
#!/bin/sh
exec chat -v
''                       ATZ                                 \
OK                   ATDT$TELEPHONE      \
CONNECT      ''                                       \
name:--name:     $ACCOUNT                  \
word:                  $PASSWORD

when i run the ppp-on script which later calls this dialer script , this
is what i can see from my var/log/messages  :-

pppd started
chat : send (ATZ)
chat : expect OK
chat : alarm
connect script failed ...

so , i tried removing the atz , so , it'll straight away dial...

pppd started
chat: send (ATDT1511^M)
chat: expect CONNECT
chat :alarm
script failed ...

i believe theres a problem with chat communicating with my modem .. how
come minicom and xisp can work with my modem without a prob ?