On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Rupa wrote:
> Hi everyone,

        Hi!

> I need help installing linux using a dos partition. I tried installing
> windows 95 and windows 3.1 on the same computer using a dos partition as the
> boot, then setting up a menu that would allow me to choose betweem windows
> 95 and windows 3.1, but windows 95 didn't want to use a dos 6.22
> command.com. So I gave up, burnt my windows 95 cd, and snapped it in half. >:)

        This probem is valid only when trying to keep a non-m$ dos with
windoze.  You can keep windoze 95 and 3.1 happy over the same drive.  Just
remeber that at least one of them should use another directory than the
standard c:\windows.  You will have to eventually archive the directory
where 3.1 is installed because 95 tends to do stuff without telling you
(in this case upgrading).  After you succesfully install 95, at boot time
you'll press F8 and there will appear a menu.  The last option is to boot
the old dos version (with it's own settings which can be different than
the ones for dos7, things like the cdrom drive).  You boot the old dos,
unarchive the 3.1 directory.  And here you have it.

> So what is a good version of unix that is small, text only, and allows easy
> installation? Something that will give me experience with the actual
> operating system, and not add on applications?

        Try to get an UMSDOS distribution.  The largest, updated one is
ZipSlack which is pretty large.  Else, there are quite a few distributions
that are aimed towards smaller size.  They won't have the latest software,
actually the software will be pretty old.  This means the software will
work pretty good and it will have the same feel as the new versions (well,
for the text versions).  Don't think about security at this point.  UMSDOS
isn't secure.  And because there are old versions, they might contain
known bugs that were solved...

> Where would I download the files, or file that would allow me to install
> this. Including the full ftp site location, and path, and filename. Since I
> only have email access, where I will be downloading it, through ftp by email.

        There was minilinux and xdenu.  But I didn't see them lately on
the net.  So you might settle for monkey linux.  It's larger than the
other ones, but larger means 5-6 floppies.  It's at sunsite, now
metalab.unc.edu.  I'm not sure where in the directory tree.  Anyway
somewhere below /pub/Linux/.  And now the usual: please use a mirror close
to you, this way you'll gain time.

        Raider
--
                ``Liberate tu-temet ex inferis''