On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Corrigan, Brian wrote:
>Where can i d/l REdhat 5???  I checked the site, but to no avail.  I
>want to burn it on CD>...

RH makes it difficult to get their software via FTP, but I recently did just
that, and then burned it onto a CD. I really can't recommend this method
of getting the software to anyone who doesn't have a high speed connection.
It's a lot easier to get it via mail order, and apparently you can also get
every piece of software in the universe included, since they send you 6 CDs.
The only reason I d/l'd  the stuff is because it was obvious that they were
trying to make it difficult, which pissed me off, and I'm an obsessive lunatic:)
To me a "free" operating system means you should be able to d/l it.

Anyway, for all the other obsessive loonies out there, here's how to do it.

1- Go to www.redhat.com or any of their mirrors (I found RedHat was the fastest)
and go to the Redhat 5.1 directory.

2- D/L the entire "base" and "instimage" directories, including all
subdirectories of "instimage".

3- D/L the rpms you want from the RPMS directory. This is the bulk of the
download, and it's worth your while to decide if you need everything in there.
For example, they have documentation in many different languages and formats
and these files are huge.  These files must be in a directory called RPMS, on
the same level as base and instimage.

4- Get the Redhat boot and root disks.  Boot up and follow the directions.  I
installed from a H/D partition, but you can probably burn the CD first, and then
install from that.

Have fun.

--
- Mitch Marantz -