cd /
find -iname 'my.file.name*'

find accepts many switches but here are some useful ones to get you started:

find -name '*gz'
        will find all files ending with 'gz' - case sensitive
        ie file.gz is listed, but file.Gz is not

find -iname 'GetMyFile'
        will find all files named 'getmyfile' - case insensitive
        ie getmyfile is listed, as is GetMyFile and getMYfile etc

find -iname '*jpg' -exec mv {} '/newdir/pics' \;
        finds all jpg files and mv's them to /newdir/pics
        NOTE: anything between -exec and \; can be executed on all files found (one
at a time). Using this method, the current file name is reffered to as {}.

The find command searches recursively down through your dirs (default) and
lists verbosely all files that match the criteria specified.
read the manpage (man find) for more info...

hope this helps...

ice9