    Deep> Naren pleasee add your comment on this too......

    Deep> Thanks Raju for your comments. I Still want to spell out my
    Deep> mind like..as I dont want to install linux again...(suppose
    Deep> I have a corrupt root partition) in such a situation I was
    Deep> asking the question. Now what I have is the corrupt root
    Deep> partition and backup.dd file in another partition. Now by me
    Deep> the restoration process would be. Format the partition and
    Deep> using dd to restore the whole root partition so that next
    Deep> time after I make the partition active... I will boot
    Deep> painlessly? MY question in other words would be if dd will
    Deep> be capable to backup/restore all the boot/super/inode/data
    Deep> blocks ... so that I dont need to make the filesys on a same
    Deep> sized partition...

Yes, if the old and new partitions are exactly the same size you
should be able to restore your dd image onto the newly formatted
partition.  You may still need to re-run LILO to get Linux to boot if
this was your root partition.  In case the new partition is larger
than the old one, you'll  lose the extra space.  In case it's smaller,
well, God help you when you try to access the blocks which the
filesystem says exist but actually lie beyond your partition!

    Deep> Please add your comment..

    Deep> thannnks. deep

Regards,

-- Raju