Hard to pinpoint a problem from what you've said. But here are a few basics
to check out.

1. Do you have an IRQ conflict. (This can cause packets to be sent but not
received.) Check /proc/interrupts and make sure the NIC is where you think
it should be.

2. Does ifconfig succeed? (Probably, if you see the hub lights flashing when
you try to ping.) To be sure, run ifconfig in probe mode (that is, whthout
any arguments) and see if the results look right. Does each eth0 have the
right broadcast address (I can't remember the default if you don't specify
it, and the arp request needs a working broadcast address).

3. Might you have a routing problem? (Again, probably not, if the lights
flash.) To be sure, check the output of "route -n".

4. Might you have a kernel problem? Can each machine successfully ping
localhost?

5. After you try to ping, what does /proc/net/arp show about the destination
machine? Does its IP address have an associated MAC (Ethernet) address, or
is the entry all 0s?

Hope this gives you some helpful ideas. BTW, if you post again, mention the
basics of your setup - hardware, Linux distribution and version, and kernel
version. For now, good luck.

At 06:12 PM 4/10/99 -0500, Andrew R. Brink wrote:
>Hi,
>I've got my network cards (3c509b) setup on 2 machines.  But they cant
>ping each other?
>
>Here's the setup.
>
>machine 1 ---- 3com hub ----- machine 2
>
>machine 1 : ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 up
>           route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>
>machine 2 : ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 up
>           route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
>
>What have I missed in my configuration?  Why can't they ping each other?
>
>I'm pretty sure that the cables are working because when the machines
>try to ping each other, the packet light on my hub flashes.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]